The properties of acetal can be summarized as follows
- Excellent wear resistance
- Very good strength, stiffness
- Good heat resistance
- Excellent chemical resistance
- Moderate to high price
- Somewhat restricted processing
A practical difference between the copolymer and the homopolymer is that the copolymer can accept reinforcement much better than the homopolymer. Thus, the strength of the copolymer can be increased far more easily than that of the homopolymer. Both types can be modified by additives such as PTFE (Teflon®) to increase the resistance to wear.
Typical applications of acetal?
- Precision gears
- Bearings with close tolerances
- Electrical engineering insulators
- Compact bearing assembly
- Snap fit assemblies
- Conveyor components
- Parts which operate in water between 60 to 90;C